Top 10 freelance skills of 2020
The year is 2020, and finally, freelancing is no longer the buffer period between job hunting.
Skilled employees have started to choose the flexibility and freedom associated with self-employment, and bigger companies have started to take notice of this.
An increasing number of companies are adding independent contractors and freelancers to their roster of employees in a bid to save resources by cutting down on operational costs. This strategy has become a mainstay for these companies to be competitive, especially during the pandemic.
So it comes as no surprise that freelancers are on the lookout for new skills and expertise to widen the range of their offerings. Freelancing is no longer restricted to just traditional jobs. It has also expanded into more skilful jobs such as data-mining, blockchain and app development.
Here are the top 10 freelance skills that employers are on the quest for:
1. Graphic design — Graphic design is a skill that has always thrived on freelancing and will continue to be a hugely attractive skill this year as the demand for websites and marketing collateral and product creation continues to gather pace. This is usually a skill that companies like to delegate to freelancers rather than hire someone.
2. Video editing and creation — Video marketers receive an average of 66% more leads per year than other content forms. The ability to create and edit videos from scratch and making them marketable is an extremely valuable skill as more and more businesses will choose this marketing route.
3. Blockchain — Being one of the highest paid freelancing jobs, blockchain is definitely one of the most valuable skills a freelancer can possess in this day and era. Companies can take advantage of blockchain’s secure and distributed model in various industries like law, governance, logistics, insurance, etc.
4. Mobile app development — The demand for developers for both Android and iOS apps is ever-growing. Since 2019, app store recorded over 200 billion downloads while users spent a collective of $120 billion on apps and in-app purchases. As people spend on average over 3 hours a day on their phone, it isn’t surprising that businesses are focusing their efforts on showcasing their services through mobile apps.
5. Web development — The field of web development is very dynamic, with the likes of coding, data-mining and data analytics constantly evolving the industry. Much like applications, a huge amount of websites are being created every day and with the increase in businesses, the number of new websites will also keep increasing.
6. Digital marketing — Marketing is a widely recognized necessity for every business — 63% of business owners say marketing is the most important expense to grow their business. An effective digital marketing strategy will comprise of a holistic multi-channel approach including email, content, social media, automation, and search engine optimization (SEO).
7. Illustration — Companies hire illustrators instead of using stock images in an effort to stand out amongst their competitors. Depending on its style, illustrations accompany a variety of articles, ads, and promotional materials both online and offline. The animation industry will be worth $270 billion by the end of 2020, which is a huge opportunity for freelancers.
8. Writing — Be it creating an SEO-motivated feature or a company culture piece, article writing is a desirable skill as companies strive to make their brand a hotbed of authoritative content. Just like graphic design, writing and content creation has thrived due to the abundance of this skill amongst freelancers. This is an evergreen skill and will continue to grow in popularity.
9. Data analysis — Data helps businesses to understand their demographic and ultimately create better products and services in accordance to the needs and desires of the target market. Data analysis is a skill which goes hand in hand with a plethora of other skills, and compliments them as well. It’s because of this reason that data analysis will keep gaining popularity amongst freelancers.
10. E-commerce manager — Having an e-commerce platform means that a business can potentially sell their products to a global market of billions while minimizing overhead expenses. Freelancers are at the forefront of managing, creating, populating, and optimising these e-commerce sites for their clients.
Although extremely helpful, these skills and expertise demand huge resources to learn and possess. Investment in courses and mentor-mentee sessions are extremely important, and freelancers shouldn’t shy away from this.
Partnering with Feige will enable you to avail the best of resources at your disposal and help you unlock your true freelancer potential, so you can keep growing and succeeding.
If you are a freelancer who is looking to get your new business off the ground, get in touch with us at — firstname.lastname@example.org